Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout





This is part one of 4 different stouts from Dark Horse's series of stouts. I figured it would be a fantastic idea to split the 4 different ones between Jennie, her dad Phil, and myself.

Phil's comment on this was 'It's alright. It's a little strong. But isn't that what stout beers are?'

This pours dark as oil. The head on this is dark too, about like coffee with cream in it. The aroma is has alcohol vapors and sort of a chocolate vibe to it. The 7% alcohol is not noticed in the taste. What is noticed is oatmeal, semi-sweet chocolate, little bit of cream flavor with light toffee. Some bitterness on the back end that dissipates quickly. Not a bad beer, but it's a good beer for a bitterly cold night.

4/5 caps

-Nathan-

I love Dark Horse Brewing; they rarely put out a sub-par beer. This is technically one of five stouts in a  series. We'll not be covering Plead the 5th Imperial Stout due to lack of availability here in Ohio.

I agree with Nathan, it's dark as midnight on a clear, new moon night. I get some licorice and some toasted chocolate in the nose. The oatmeal makes it smooth as a baby's bottom. I love the roasted flavors in this. It's quite tasty... moderately heavy, but I tend to expect that from oatmeal stouts.

4/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment