Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pete's Wicked Ale






Ready for a blast from the past? Man, this stuff was all the rage in the mid-1990's. I hadn't seen it around in years or heard any mention of this stuff since the height of its popularity. This was one of my first forays into the craft beer scene; I recall a summer cookout and falling in love with this, and preferring it to Sam Adams and other popular, "weird" beers of the time.

And then Nathan spied a twelve-pack at a carryout near our home. And then he decided to purchase it. So here we are, reviewing one of the first non-macro-lagers I had experienced and enjoyed. Pete's stopped distribution in 2011, so this may well be one of the last of this particular brew available. This particular batch was brewed in June 2010, so it's been, ahem, aged.

It's self-described as a ruby-brown ale. It pours a deep amber color with a creamy off-white head and great head retention. The aroma is pure malt, with some deep caramel seeping through. Not sure if it's because it's "cellared" or if it's just that way anyway, but I pick up nearly all malts and very little hops in this. It kind of reminds me of some good brown bread. It's really sweet without being cloying, and there's a hint of hop bitterness on the back end.

Huh. I think I just fell back in love with it. I'm not a huge red or amber fan. Honestly, I mentioned to Nathan during my last one that it reminds me of another favorite brewery, Indigo Imp. Makes me wonder whether this, likewise, has a wild yeast strain, although it was contract brewed for a long time, so I doubt it.

Now I have to go bust a move and get my Running Man on. It's a nostalgic kind of beer.

4.1/5 caps

-Jennie

This may be one of the last reviews of this fine beer, from a pioneer in the craft scene. A while back, we were talking about Pete's Wicked, and wondering what had happened to them. I started doing a little research. A homebrewer that started a company in 1985 and became the 2nd largest microbrewery in a short time. The company make $70 million in revenue at their peak. They sold the company to the company that owns Shiner beer. That company decided to kill the Pete's brand in 2011, due to declining sales. Apparently, now, Pete Slosberg (founder of Pete's Brewing) is making chocolates in California, but keeps in touch with the beer scene.

History lesson over, onto this possibly final review of this.

The pour is deep amber, the self description of 'ruby-brown' fits. Somehow, with this being bottled in 2010, this has a decent amount of head and carbonation. Interesting how aging a beer 2 1/2 years doesn't affect the carbonation (I'll have to keep this in mind for cellar aging beers in the future).  The aroma is just as Jennie described it. The flavor is awesome. You have some caramel tones with the malt, some light bitterness (Brewer's Gold hop strain) toward the back. The mouthfeel is lighter, a little sticky, but not overwhelming. At 5.5% ABV, this is a nice, light brew. Leaves a beautiful thin lacing down the side of the pint glass (like a spider web touched by the first dew of the morning).

It saddens me that this isn't around for people to still enjoy, but I'm glad that Jennie and I had the opportunity to enjoy it. I'm thinking I'll try and find a clone recipe of this soon, as this is too good to be pushed into the shadows of oblivion. May you rest in peace, Pete's Wicked Ale, and may you have a resurgence some day soon. I raise this potentially final pint in your honor. Cheers.

4.25/5 caps

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment