Sunday, February 24, 2013

Green Flash Palate Wrecker






Green Flash is a newer company. They started in 2002 and have been doing fantastic beers out of California. I had an opportunity to meet a guy from Green Flash (although at this point, almost a year later, I can't remember his name) at a release party for Linchpin, a collaboration they had with Founders. The beer was fantastic. And I learned more about the two companies. Unfortunately, Jennie could not make it to that event, as she was working a party at her job.

We've had the Palate Wrecker before. There's a reason we picked it up again (and again). This pours a perfectly clear orange color. The head definitely sticks around (as it should at 9.5%). The aroma is citrus and pine, with some earthier tones, like grass. It also has something in the nose that I can't place. Something sweeter. The taste is WOWZA. This is a roller coaster of hops. It starts with nice, mellow earthy tones, that does a gradual build up to a citrus explosion toward the back. Meanwhile the bitterness builds and builds and builds. The bitterness takes a stranglehold over the citrus and leaves you with a resiny mouth and a satisfied smile. The mouthfeel, again, is resiny, by medium body, surprising for being 9.5%.

4.7/5 caps

-Nathan

I don't have much to add here... Nathan's description is pretty spot-on. It reminds me a lot of a brunch item my mom used to make. It was a broiled grapefruit with brown sugar sprinkled on top and cherry in the middle. For some reason, this drink harkens me back to New Year's mornings with that on the brunch menu. I love that sentimentality that the olfactory sense gives.

4.85/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment