Sunday, February 24, 2013

Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo (2013 Release)


And now onto our 3rd and final tribute of the night to the good Doctor. 2013 release of Barrel Aged Gonzo. This was released in 750ml bottles (instead of the last year release that was 12oz). It was corked, like a fine wine, ergo, I must get more for aging (see Barrel Aged 2012 review for what I intend to do with said aged beer).

Again, this pours black as coal. I think my exact words the first time I had Gonzo, "as dark and opaque as soy sauce." The light coffee head adds to the beauty of this. This is an interesting day, as we both finally upgraded our phones to smart phones, and as we're reviewing fantastic brews tonight. How else should we end the night? The answer, my dear, hedonistic reader, is the 2013 release of B.A. Gonzo.

The aroma is.... SHIT!.... I dunked my nose in the beer... Let's try this again... The aroma is about the same as the 2012 release, coffee, chocolate and whiskey barrel notes (with a devilish dash of vanilla). Only, as of right now, the 2013 release isn't as potent on the nose. The flavor of this, however, is not quite as good as the aged. The whiskey comes out a lot more and overpowers the rest of the brew. This claims that this is 9.5%, but tastes heavier. The wood flavor is more predominant (guessing because it hasn't had time to mellow out), there are bonus notes of coffee and chocolate on the back end, but they seem to be overwhelmed by the front end of whiskey and wood. Once it warms up a bit, though, the flavors meld. Still rather woody. If you don't like a nice oak aged flavor, this is not for you. But then again, as I've worked with wood for a long time (insert all kinds of sophomoric jokes here), I find it pleasant. Nay, I find it rather calm and relaxing. It brings me back to wood shop, building a hollow body guitar my senior year of high school. No cares in the world, no bills, no worries except when the next jam session between friends would happen. This is a trip down memory lane in every sip.

This, as well, is a fantastic brew. I would love to review this next year, side by side by side with last year's, this year's, and next year's selections. Side note, this is out 80th review. Sweet Raptor Jesus how time does fly.

I'm not finishing this beer for one simple, and yet, good reason. I gave Phil a couple drinks. He really likes it. He's going to kill the rest of it, as Phil is worth it.

4.8/5 caps (only because I think this should age longer)

-Nathan



Hehehehe Nathan and Phil shared wood. Insert West Virginia joke here. Please, now, let's get to the damn beer already.

I pick up more chocolate in the nose of this current brew. And booze. Lots and lots of booze. Who needs whiskey when this is picking up every last molecule from the aging barrels? It's not nearly as smooth and well-rounded as the 2012 cellared version. And yet, because of the booziness, it gives off more stout characteristics than porter. The 2012 was deeply layered and complex; this isn't nearly as much; in fact, it's probably my least favorite of the three variations we've tried tonight. No noticeable hop values, no deep layers of complexity... and wow, after three 9.5% beers and another 10% brew (plus a few in between), I'm certainly feeling the need to see what Google really has to say now (Siri can suck it).

There's a lot of alcohol bite on the back side of this. As Peanut (my child) would say, "Hellooooo, Nurse!" (he watches a lot of Animaniacs).

4.5/5 caps, because it's a little boozy and loses a lot of great characteristics without being aged or the ability to maintain hop characteristics.

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment