Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dogfish Head Burton Baton



So, after our pan of the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Rhizing Bines last night, I felt the need to prove that I don't just dislike Dogfish Head's brews. We ended up at Weiland's Market this afternoon for the prior-reviewed Lucky SOB, and while we were there picked up several other singles. This is one I've been looking forward to tasting, so we picked some up. It's an Imperial IPA that has been aged in oak barrels, with a hefty 10% ABV.

It pours a lighter orange color with a moderate off-white head that leaves beautiful lacing on the glass and has moderate alcohol legs. Tonight we chose to use wineglasses for this because they seemed appropriate for the style. My wineglasses are snifter-shaped with tall stems. Just so you know. We figured we'd finally try to be proper and stuff. This smells purely lovely, like grapefruit and pine and all the happy hoppy flavors I enjoy, and just a hint of caramel or toffee. And then you taste it. It has a very mellow grapefruit flavor up front, with just a hint of the oak barrel, which fades into very mellow caramel and toffee flavors. The nose on this is intense; the flavor is a lesser degree of exactly what you smell, primarily due to the barrel aging.

This is really good. This is what I was hoping for out of Rhizing Bines. Well done, Dogfish Head. I could probably live off of this if I had to.

4.9/5 caps

-Jennie

Where do I begin with this? 10% IPA that's oaked. Could either be good or bad. The aroma is hops. There are some woody and vanilla tones, but HOPS. The flavor is how Jennie described. Nowhere in this brew does it scream out about the 10% ABV. It's nice and mellow, but yet gives a nice warming sensation (like red wine). Is this better than the Rhizing Bines? Well, does the Pope shit in the woods? This is the high quality beer that I expect from a huge name like Dogfish Head.

4.85/5 caps

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment