Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Epic Brewing Spiral Jetty

Epic Brewing Company may be the only brewery in Mormon-occupied USA. The brew is named after a piece of artwork created in 1970.

The pour is a very cloudy golden, slightly orange color. Very cloudy to where I cannot see anything while looking through it. Rather carbonated, leaving a thick head that could be scraped off, retaining it's shape and frothy consistency. Epic claims that this is aggressively hopped with 5 varieties and dry hopped with 2. Let's see how it is.

The nose is citrusy, floraly, slight caramel notes, and some bready notes, with a slight alcohol tang to add to the mix. The first sip is interesting. Slight citrus notes from the hops, fading into earthy tones. Slight malt notes, but just enough to add to the hops. The alcohol is noticed (despite being 6.6%) in the taste toward the back end, which is a lighter bodied, with a resiny, sticky feel. Sweeter toward the front, with bitterness on the back that lingers slightly.

Not bad, tastes a little too earthy for my personal tastes (which makes sense as the artwork of 'Spiral Jetty' is a earthwork). Worth the $4 a bomber, yes.

3.75/5 caps

-Nathan-

I get more pine and resin in the nose than Nathan did. I also pick up some tobacco on the front to middle of the taste. It's not bad... but it's also not the best IPA I've had. The hop flavors die out too soon for my liking. It almost tastes like it's sweetened to balance out the hop flavors, but I think it's a little overly sweet. Not cloying, not bad, just a little underwhelming. I have to agree with Nathan, though, that for the price point, it's a solid IPA. Like him, I also prefer the piney or citrusy hops to the earthier tones. But that's just me.

This is from Epic's Classic series. I'd like to see (and taste) an IPA from one of their other series. Brainless on Hops, anyone?

3.7/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment