Saturday, February 16, 2013

Elevator Dark Horse

Ah... Dark Horse. Another fantastic selection from Elevator.

Now, let me give you a little history about myself. This was one of 2 beers that turned me into the craft beer drinker that I am today. I was a younger version of the maniacal tool I am now, and was fed up with drinking crap. I tasted this and Flying Dog's Doggie Style (review yet to come) and it made me realize that not all beer has to be crap. And because of that, we decided to make this our 60th beer review.

This beer changed my view on lagers forever. It opened my eyes that there are lagers that can be fantastic. This doesn't pour light yellow. No, my fellow freak, this pours a dark coppery color (when held up to light, in a dimly lit room, it's black) that light barely passes through. But, yet, the head is a very light color that doesn't stick around. The aroma has tones of hazelnut, chocolate and malty goodness. The taste. Oh, Sweet Jesus, the taste. Take a nut brown ale, add some cocoa notes,  and some roasted notes. All of a sudden, it's gone, it's down your throat with a perfectly clean finish. There is a reason this took Bronze in 2007 at the Great American Beer Festival.

The 5.3 % ABV does not get noticed. What does get noticed is the AMAZING flavor from this. This got a 3-nod and eye-brow lift from Phil. That's very good for a Phil review.

As always, we have to show our appreciation to Dick and Vic at Elevator, and this beer is a great example of their exemplary contributions to the brewing world. Go, pick up a six pack. If you're not in the Columbus, Ohio area, travel here. It's worth it for this brew.

5/5 caps

-Nathan-

Hehehehe he said "maniacal tool."

I don't have much to add. When it warms a bit, I get more of a citrusy aroma in the nose. It's like a porter that has been blended with the lightness and clean finish of a lager. Eminently drinkable, it, too, has spoiled me in my opinion of lagers. Well played, Dick and Vic. Well played.

Seriously, if you don't live here, get a ticket to Columbus and taste this fantastic beverage.

4.5/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment