Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fat Head's Bumbleberry






By the way, have you noticed an improvement in the pictures the last two days? I got a new phone with a kick-ass camera on it. It does this brew (and almost every other one we've taken since yesterday) some righteous justice. Ignore the countertop... you should see the rest of the kitchen. It's decorated in 1980s low style and way crooked. Seriously, there's a 1/2" difference that the counters are offset at a seam, because there is not one level corner in the place. Thank goodness our lease is almost over, and we're starting the house hunt. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Anyway, I somehow got sidetracked from the beer... let's fix that.

This is another selection from the exemplary Fat Head's. As we covered earlier, they're here in Ohio and put out fantastic brews, and we can't wait to meet them in person and film a brew day. This is Bumbleberry, their honey blueberry ale, and I've had my eye on it for awhile. All you fruit beer haters, just go ahead and let me flaunt my vagina... I like fruit beers, no matter what you say. Maybe you should expand your horizons, just a suggestion.

This pours a pale orange and clear, with a moderate-sized white head. And then there's the nose... oh wow. Remember this pic? And if not, remember this cereal? Because it's exactly the smell of my childhood favorite, Blueberry Waffelos. Hells to the yeah.


And this beer has so much more promise than the one brewed by our friends in Cincinnati, Rivertown's Blueberry Lager, which we panned. For starters, this is made with local Ohio honey (I sense a heck of a story on the angry bees mentioned on http://www.fatheadsbeer.com) and blueberry puree. Not artificial flavors. Thank you, Fat Head's, for that.

Oh hell, this is good. It has a fantastic structure, with some early malt presence that lingers throughout the sip. Well carbonated, it also tastes kind of like blueberry pie, or like the aforementioned joy of mornings during my youth. It tastes like actual blueberries, not artificial flavor. And the honey comes through, as well, on the back side. It also adds a silky, honeyed mouthfeel to the brew.

If you don't like fruit beer and are still reading this, go buy some. It's sooooo good. If you don't like it, I'd be happy to finish off the pack for you. If you do like fruit beer, go buy some... you won't be disappointed.

4.6/5 caps

-Jennie 




The aroma to me is breakfast. The taste is breakfast. Why can't I drink this for breakfast before heading into work daily? This is fantastic. There's nothing else I can add to Jennie's review, except I really don't remember Waffelos.

4.6/5 caps

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment