Friday, February 15, 2013

Smuttynose IPA

Smuttynose is out of New Hampshire. This is a 6.9% ABV, 75 IBU IPA that is heavy with the Simcoe, Santiams and Amarillo hops. Let's hope it lives up to the description.

The pour is a hazy golden color, with a light white head. The aroma is very faint however. I pick up some citrusy notes and some lighter malt tones, while trying my best to pick up tones. The taste is disappointing. It's a light flavor of nothingness (the occasional hint of citrus about the 4th sip in) on the front with tons of bitter on the back that lingers. Being a hophead, this is a huge letdown.

Let's choke through this and get to something else to wash this taste out of my mouth.

1.5/5 caps (after it warmed up a bit)

-Nathan-

Um, I think that was a little harsh.... but not completely off-target. I've had a couple of other Smuttynose beers, including Big A IPA (their Imperial IPA), and I've yet to be blown away or even more than mildly impressed. There are some very faint citrusy notes in the nose and perhaps a bit of caramel. The first sip yields the same mild citrus notes, little to no malt presence, and not as much hop presence as I would like for an allegedly 75 IBU brew. I have to agree it's a letdown, but I won't lambast it quite as badly as Nathan did.

Seriously, there's Simcoe in here? I almost get Cascade, as there's a more earthy presence on the back end.

But because one of my besties JUST got engaged to another of my besties (literally, got the pic of the ring while we were writing the review), I'm probably going to be a little generously biased:

2.8/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment