Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA


One of our favorite little wine and craft beer joints in this corner of town put in a growler station a couple of weeks ago. I've been promising to make it in to pick up a growler, but this is the first chance we've had. If you get a chance, go check out Wine & Brew Emporium on Sunbury Road, just north of Rte. 161 and adjacent to Gordy's. The lady who owns it is super nice. Tonight, Nathan picked up a 32-ounce growler of Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA. On to continue our redemption of Dogfish Head after the Rhizing Bines debacle.

This pours a beautiful clear orange color with a barely off-white head. Because it came in draft form, the head lasted in the growler, but, as you can see, was nearly non-existent upon pouring into pint glasses. The aroma of this is fairly faint, with some light citrus hops and some sweetness wafting up my nose. The first sip of this yields some tropical fruits, which give way to that sweetness from the nose and then to some earthy tones, perhaps a little soapy note but not enough to be offensive, and finishes just a tad piney. The mouthfeel is a little sticky.

This is a fantastic IPA. It's not so hoppy it will turn off people with an aversion to hops. It's very well-balanced, with a very solid malt backbone. Is it heresy that I think I prefer this to their 120 Minute IPA? I last had that just over a year ago, and was a little disappointed... I was expecting a hopgasm, and it just didn't have that. 90 Minute IPA, however, is another solid offering from Dogfish Head, and well worth delving into, if you get a chance.

4.7/5 caps

-Jennie

Tonight could be one of the greatest nights I've had in a while. I got to swing by one of my favorite beer joints, I picked up my first growler, I picked up a beer made out of the rare metal Unobtainium, and I FOUND MY TROLLIE!!!!!!! You see, Trollie is my drinking buddy.

Trollie likes to drink and live out everyone's craziest fantasies (stealing a Louts and Ferarri in the same day).  But he also enjoys great beers. He was with us on the filming of our pilot episode (at Elevator Brewery).

But I seem to be steering away from the task at hand. Dogfish. Faint aroma of citrus and tropical with tones of caramel. Jennie's description of the taste is spot on, only I don't get the soapy note she did. Nice medium body with a resiny mouthfeel.

According to Dogfish, this was the first beer that they continuously hopped. Esquire magazine called this possibly the best IPA in America. I don't know about that, but it's a damn good one. A great one to experience for those who aren't experienced in the Way of the Hop.

$11.99 for a 32 oz growler (including price of the growler) at Wine and Brew Emporium.

4.65/5 caps

-Nathan (with Trollie)

No comments:

Post a Comment