Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dark Horse Too Cream Stout

2nd of the series. For recap of what's happening- see our Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout review.

Phil thinks this is "All right. I like it better than the last [the One Oatmeal Stout] ".


This one pours dark as oil as well. The head on this is dark, like a small amount of coffee in a clear container. The aroma is lighter. Not as predominate with the alcohol nose. It has a roasty nose. The taste is .... coffee tones with cream. Not as creamy as most milk stouts, but slightly noticeable.  Thre are some bitter chocolate tones as well in this. The 7.5% ABV, again, not noticed in this. This has no hop taste, but it's not cloying. It has a slight bitter tinge on the end. Yeah, definitely getting coffee tones out of this. Overall, a good beer. Worth checking out if you like coffee and/or milk or cream stouts.

4/5 caps

-Nathan-

Oh. My. Goddess. I think I have a new favorite stout. This is fanfuckingtastic.

The differences between this and One are subtle and nuanced, as I'm guessing the grain bills and hop additions are very similar, if not the same. This tastes like I like my daily necessity, coffee -- strong, with coffee and cream. It has a thinner body than the oatmeal stout.  I find it even more smooth than the One, surprisingly, as oatmeal tends to smooth out the brew. I want to roll it around on my tongue all night long. Not like that, you pervs. I think, with its predominant coffee flavors, this would make a most excellent morning quaff. Coffee, my dear, dear friend, you just might be replaced.

4.3/5 caps

-Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment