Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sam Adams Double Agent IPL


First I want to say, to those who saw the previous post where I promised something epic for post number 50, I am sorry. We ended up with too many brews to review before the epic-event happened. Please stay tuned to our blog, as here in a couple weeks, said event will take place.

IPL? Imperial Pale Lager. This is interesting. West coast hops with a lager beer.  I haven't really been impressed with too many Sam Adams brews (since developing my craft taste buds), they just seem bland to me now.

So, there were left over Sam Adams from our small Superbowl gathering. This is one of them. It pours a golden amber color, very clear, with a soft white head. The aroma is... wow... grapefruity, citrusy tones, but not in your face. The first sip- Light lager body, crisp and clean. Notes of being an IPA, but with the crispness of a lager. The back end gives nice hops slightly lingering, but not sticky or resiny.  Nice carbonation. It leaves a nice lacing on the glass. This would be good hoppier beer on a hot Summer day. Very interesting combination of everything.

Overall, worth drinking, hopefully the other Sam Adams selections will be good like this and not a let down (like the Boston Lager or most of their seasonals).

4.2/5 caps

-Nathan-

I don't have much to add... although I thoroughly enjoyed the Old Fezziwig in their winter sampler pack. This is now my favorite lager... love the grapefuity and mango-ey hops in this... it's eminently drinkable. Lighter bodied than most IPA's, more flavorful than most lagers. When we were pouring it, Nathan asked, "Why hasn't anyone done this before?" I have to ask the same questions.

4.3/5 caps

-Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment