Saturday, February 16, 2013

Elevator Brewing Co. Mogabi

Ahhh, Elevator Brewing. We're a little partial to them since we filmed our pilot (yes, still in production) with them. I have to admit, I fell a little in love with Dick, the owner -- he's warm, charming, and loves his beer. And he puts out good stuff. This is their hoppy wheat, which has become something of a trend over the last year or so, and I credit Dick (and Vic, the head brewer) with setting this trend, as I've been familiar with it for several years. The bad news is, if you're not around the Columbus, Ohio, area, you probably don't know Elevator, as they self-distribute. If you get a chance, trade for some or ship some illegally. Wait, don't do that.... I can't, in good Juris Doctorly conscience suggest that you do that. Instead, book a flight here and check them out.

Mogabi quickly became one of my favorite brews from Elevator as soon as I puts its liquid goldiness to my lips. It pours a semi-hazy medium orange with a lovely off-white head that leaves a lovely lacing on the glass. The nose is pure floral, citrusy hops. The taste is the perfect combination of wheat and hoppiness. The wheat really smooths out the feel on the tongue as the carbonation dances down my throat. There are some earthy tones on the back side that I really don't mind.

This is probably my quintessential brew from Elevator. We'll get to Nathan's in a bit, we've mentioned that our friend Jimmy's favorite IPA is theirs, and this weekend we'll be torturing our tongues with their Ghost Scorpion Lager -- the hottest beer in the world -- at Fiery Foods Fest at North Market. Last year it left my mouth on fire for a full hour. I'm pretty sure the CIA is begging Dick for the recipe to use against American foes. But for me, Mogabi is what I would love to have in my hand if I were stranded in the eponymous desert.

4.6/5 caps

-Jennie

Wow. I have really don't have much to add to this. Fiery Fest is also going to feature a Chipotle Nut Brown ale and 3 Hot Frogs (Three Frogs done with Jalepeno, Cayenne and Habanero peppers), both from Elevator.  Dick has admitted to us that he's a closet chili head, so I can't wait to try these Sunday. And actually, shipping beer or wine across state lines is completely legal as long as it's an individual to another individual, with no intent of sale, and using a private carrier (post service is out, UPS and FedEx count as private carriers).  But back to this beer.

Hoppy awesomeness. I was weary of trying this for the longest time, as I hadn't acquired a taste for many wheat beers. When I finally tried this, I couldn't stop drinking this. Yet another Fanfuckingtastic product from Dick and Vic.  Go, stop reading, and purchase some. If you're not in the Central Ohio region, we could possibly set up a trade for other good regional beers that we can't get in Ohio. Message us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BehindTheTap

4.6/5 caps

-Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment